Benefits of Educating the Public about OxyContin Addiction
Prescription drug addiction is something that should be taken seriously by all of society. Because prescription drugs do not carry the stigma that illicit drugs do, people often underestimate their potential for danger. Not everyone is aware of the fact that drug addiction damages everyone in society, which is why it is extremely beneficial to raise public awareness about the problems of prescription drug addiction. Addiction education can be rewarding to all.
Understanding the Harm in Abusing OxyContin
Because prescription drugs are legal and provided through a medical professional, many people believe them to be harmless, that the impact has no potential to be serious or life-threatening. For this reason, prescription drug abuse can be ever more dangerous than illicit drug abuse, because users underestimate the drug’s risk. Understanding the many dangers associated with OxyContin abuse can prevent individuals from dealing with a long list of problems, including the following:
- Addiction: OxyContin addiction is a perilous disease that can damage every aspect of life
- Overdose: OxyContin overdose can cause a number of health concerns including respiratory depression and death
- Permanent brain damage
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Interference with work/school: Work or school performance will decline and could result in job loss or expulsion
- Financial or legal difficulties: Spending large quantities of time and money on maintaining an addiction can create a large mess for the addict and her family
- Relationship troubles: The addict will change his behavior, thoughts and feelings, and this will undoubtedly affect relationships with others
- Accidental injury: OxyContin is a depressant, so large amounts of the drug can make users dizzy, disoriented and mentally unaware
Educating Youth on the Dangers of OxyContin Abuse
A large part of preventing prescription drug abuse comes from educating young people. Prescription drug abuse of painkillers like OxyContin is becoming more common among teens and young adults. By educating younger children on the many dangers of OxyContin abuse, it is more likely they will refrain from engaging in the activity when they come across it. Addiction awareness for youth is essential, because it allows educators to prevent drug abuse before it has a chance to occur.
Learn More about OxyContin Addiction Prevention
If you would like more information about OxyContin addiction, treatment options or prevention programs, then you are in the right place. By calling our toll-free helpline you can speak with an expert in the field of addiction. Our highly trained rehab counselors are available 24 hours a day to assist you with your addiction needs, including rehab and other treatment programs. Prescription drug addiction is a serious disease. Learn how you can prevent it from causing problems in your life and the lives of your loved ones.